Sunday, March 23, 2008

Measurements.

You did this as a kid, didn't you? Had a spot in your house where your mom marked how big you were?

In our house it was a pantry wall. There were ten kids in our family, so there were a lot of marks on that wall. We never had a specific time that we marked our growth, sometimes it wasn't even once a year, so the marks were really haphazard, but it was fun for us to look at. I wonder how the family who moved into our house felt when they painted over that section of wall. It wasn't their memories. Did they get as emotional as I would have painting over something like that? I doubt it. I wish I'd gotten a picture of that wall.

Since we won't be living here for any of our children's entire childhood, I started measuring them on a board I can take with us. Hannah loves it and insists on being measured at least once a week. She's always bummed when she hasn't grown noticeably in the last week. Ainsley just likes standing against it like her sister did and then bouncing up and down on her toes.

It's led to some good conversations about height and even weight (since we had to explain why weight couldn't be measured on the board). I think she'll insist on measuring her Grandpa the next time he comes to visit.

No comments: