Sunday, November 16, 2008

Family Tree

For years, I've been wanting to make a huge family tree to put up in our home. While looking for good Samhain/Halloween/end of fall activities, I came across the suggestion to have a Family Tree that you only put up once a year. This seems like a good idea to me. This way it won't become part of the backdrop in the home, taken for granted, never really noticed or appreciated.

As time got shorter and Little Girl's insistence to do this project got louder and more frequent, my fancy plans for it got thrown out the window. The night before Halloween, we grabbed a piece of posterboard and I freehanded a tree with roots. She added the leaves and glued pictures on.



I stuck the children in the leaves, my husband and myself on the trunk, and my children's ancestors in the roots. For a child, this was easier to comprehend than the traditional (at least it's traditional in all the Mormon family trees I've seen) method of putting the grandparents or great-grandparents on the trunk and having the children and children-of-children and on and on branching out in the tree branches. That's too abstract for a four-year-old to understand.

But showing that these people are the ones who sustain us, who support us, literally? She got that and she was very excited about it.

Little One doesn't understand the meaning behind it all, but she loves to climb up where we taped it on the wall and talk about all the people she recognizes or doesn't recognize on the poster.

Next year I'll have more pictures to add to it, more stories to tell my daughters about their predecessors. And I'll get it done earlier than the night before Halloween.

1 comment:

Garrison Family said...

what a special activity sarah. I want to do something like that... have you seen those tree's made out of wire... If i can find that link to one premade... i'll send it to you....