Sunday, December 21, 2008

Happy Solstice!

It's Solstice, the longest night of the year.



The Holly King grows old and leaves, the Oak King is born.



In the morning, the sun is born again and nights will get shorter and shorter.


The sun has gone to bed and so have my children. May they sleep as long as the sun. I'm not holding my breath.

Tomorrow is the first day of winter and the girls are going to wake up to new, soft snow covering the ground. I hope my husband can get out of the driveway to go to work.

He's been home all day - a rare gift these days - so he had to deal with very attached girls.



Very attached, indeed.



This is my first year doing Solstice presents, so I need to get those wrapped up and set out. Right now I'm using my sleeping children time to finish up the Christmas present that Matt wanted to get them. I turned this:



into these:



For both surprise impact and because I'm paranoid about packing peanuts, I waited until the kids were asleep. I'm also paranoid enough about packing peanuts that there are actually four bags there - I made two muslin bags to go on the inside to hold the peanuts and used the cotton bags (the pink and blue fabric) to cover the muslin. I'm frustrated with muslin right now. Muslin is easy to sew and cut, but requires a lot of ironing. Even so, muslin is angelic compared to packing peanuts. I despise static-y peanuts that have to be stuffed handful by handful into two huge beanbags.

The kids will love those bags, though - they'd better.

5 comments:

Cindy said...

Those turned out GREAT! And I think they will love them!

Sarah said...

Thank you! They were as easy as you said they'd be. Actually very fun to do. Since I did the muslin bags first, I knew the drill for the cotton bags, so they look really professional. So thanks for the pattern recommendation!

Serene is my name, not my life! said...

Wow! Those are awesome Sarah!!

Emerald said...

Great job, Sarah!
Curious, where did you find the images for the Solstice? We're at that sort-of-awkward stage in our family where it's time to introduce a bit of 'this is what mommy believes' and 'this is what the rest of your grammies/grampas/etc will tell you'...

Thanks!
Em

Sarah said...

Em, I got those off of Google images. Just a random Solstice search turned them up. They're lovely, aren't they?

We should pool our resources - I'm doing even more Solstice this year and I'd love to have someone to chat with about it. :)