Sunday, January 25, 2009

Bubble art.

Ainsley loves to blow bubbles in juice, water, chocolate milk, shakes, any liquid placed in front of her with a straw. So today we encouraged it with bubble art.

Put a little bit of water in a bowl with some dish detergent and food coloring.

Edit: We have discovered that if you use a small amount of tempera paint instead of food coloring, the art is more vibrant. Stir the paint in before you blow bubbles. I wouldn't do it with little ones though - I didn't try it with Ains because when we did the food coloring version, she sucked up one time and got a mouthful. Ick.



Using a straw, blow into the water, making bubbles come up over the edge of the bowl.



Gently lay a piece of paper on the bubbles.



If 'gently' isn't your style, by all means go with what feels good to you.



We got some very pretty pictures.







This one looked like a microscope slide of plant cells to me. I wish you could see it better - it's very faint even when it's in-hand.



In the first picture, you can see that Hannah's putting the food coloring on top of bubbles she'd already blown. She got some really interesting pictures that way.



This used a lot of food coloring and you don't want very much water in the bowl or the food coloring gets too diluted and the bubbles aren't colored. Yellow doesn't work very well with this project.

3 comments:

KMDuff said...

That's a fun way to do bubble art! I was thinking of the blowing with a straw on paint on paper when I Read the title. I think this method would be a hit at our house. We have to try it! :)

Sarah said...

Thanks for the idea! I'll have to try this with my kids.
I love your blog so I'm giving you an award from my blog. :)

SabrinaT said...

That looks like fun.. I enjoy reading your blog you have such creative kids!!