Sunday, February 1, 2009

Swimsuit season.

My girls are on a daddy-daughter outing to the city to go to 'the fish restaurant'. A big, big deal.

Gray and I are here playing alone.

I got a phone call about thirty minutes ago and was informed that my girl wanted to negotiate with me. Apparently they'd stopped to pick up some stuff at a store.

"Mother?"
Yes?
"You know, I like to take baths."
Yes, you do.
"You know, sometimes I like to wear my swimsuit in the bath. It's fun. It reminds me of summer."
Yes. I know.
"You know, I haven't been able to wear my swimsuit in the bathtub because it's too tight and then I can't swim and that's no fun and then I'm cranky and then I fight with my sister and then she's not happy and then there's no peace and Barack Obama said peace."
Where are you, Hannah?
"We're in the two year old swimsuit section. But none of these fit me. I need the five year old section."
I see. Do you want a new swimsuit that fits?
"Oh, yes. And they're only $10 and Ainsley is giggling, but we have to get two, Mother. One for me and one for her. We share really good, Mother, but we can't share swimsuits. So can I get one?"
Yes, sweetie, you can get one.
"Can Ainsley get one?"
Yes.
"Oh, you're the best Mother ever!"
Well, that was easy.

That child makes me smile.

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

That is soooo cute!!! :)

KMDuff said...

Sweet girl! What a fun conversation. :) Reminds me of when I went to get a black concert dress with my dad and got him to buy me a sweater set as well. Before cell phones - he didn't call mom to check first. :)

Cindy said...

I love how she calls you 'mother'. So grown up sounding.

I'm glad she can go swimming in style now.

SabrinaT said...

OH, one day she will be in Public Office!!!!