Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Painting Princesses

How to Draw Princesses and Ballerinas. My niece Jay owned this book and Hannah pored over it. When we got home, she asked me to get out her watercolors and her painting paper and she drew princesses and ballerinas.

The first had a beautiful ruby crown and .... duck feet?

The second had a very "esspressive" face and distinct fingers.

The third had a ponytail and discernible facial features. And big toes.

Some firsts for her here. Phalanges, facial features, different hairstyles. Fun stuff.

7 comments:

Stephanie said...

I can't wait for portraits and such.

I'm sure you're very excited, and already have them hung. :)

Garrison Family said...

i would so frame those --- beautiful work!

Kyre said...

Those are great! How cool that she's starting to notice/draw specific details.

Sarah said...

Squeee! I can't wait for my kids to draw pictures. Right now, we get scribbles and random circles for the most part.

However, my son did make some round bodies with lots of lines coming out of it. It looked like an octopus to me but he swore it was my husband.

Frame those puppies! They're genius!

Annie said...

SO cool! I love how the colours stayed separate and vibrant! I can't believe Hannah and Lily were inspired by the same book at the same time!

Sarah said...

Oh, thank you gals! I've passed on the praise to her. She's giddy.

Sarah, your octopus story made me laugh.

Annie, I about fell over when I saw your post. How cool is *that*? (that they were into the same thing at the same time, not that I about fell over)

Sarah said...

Oh, and about the colors staying separate, on an 'artsy' blog that I read, she really made the case for letting your kids watercolor on watercolor paper instead of regular paper. Swore up and down it would make a difference to them. Damned if it didn't. The colors do stay much more separate, as you noted, and she's working much more intently on what she paints. So worth it.