Friday, July 3, 2009

Ainsley's birth pictures.

I pulled these over from my old private family blog to share with some friends. And I didn't include any pictures of the actual birth. You're welcome.

Ainsley was my first homebirth, and it was surprisingly less intense than my pitocin-induced labor in the hospital with Hannah.



An hour and a half into labor I woke Matt up to take this picture ("It's not labor," he said. "Go back to sleep."). Four hours later, he was holding Ainsley.






Karen, our midwife, doing all of the measurements a few hours after the birth. She waited until we were good and ready to let someone else hold the baby. Such a difference from a hospital birth.



And that's me, fifteen minutes after I gave birth. It was amazing to be able to recover completely at home, wherever I felt most comfortable.

Sidenote: Ainsley came into this world staring (check out the picture of her with Matt - that's two minutes, max, after she was born), and didn't sleep for over twelve hours. I was sure at the time that it had something to do with the lack of medication contributing to an alert baby, but after almost three years with her, I'm thinking that it was mostly her personality.

10 comments:

The Thinker said...

LOL about the non-sleeping personality. yeah, I have one of those. ;)

Great pictures! How wonderful you were able to do it at home. I remember, delivering at the hospital, thinking how utterly bizarre it was that they took the baby out of the room shortly after birth for a mandatory, 2 hour 'transition period.' I tried to argue with them, but they would not relent.

Transitioning from what to what? Seems the best place possible would be in mommy & daddy's arms, huh?

Sarah said...

Thinker, I couldn't agree with you more. Transitioning from mom's body to the world is traumatic enough - the best place for that transition period would be right in your arms.

When my oldest was born, I was 'allowed' to hold her (still irks me that they made it clear that it was not my right to hold my child, but that they were being generous) for fifteen minutes, then they did the measuring, then my husband and I got her back for about an hour, then they took her for all of the 'necessary' stuff. My husband went with her and stayed with her every second she wasn't with me.

Stephanie said...

The pictures of you are beautiful!
I so wanted a homebirth... far, far different different from two c's.

Sarah said...

Great pictures! I love home birth stories, I wish I could go that route, but with a past c-section, I'm just not that comfortable with that....and neither is my hubby! More power to 'ya!!

I do use a midwife for my care and boy-howdy, what a difference their care makes. I'm totally in awe of those ladies.

Go you for an unmedicated home-birth!!

Madeline Rains said...

SO beautiful. I wish I'd been able to have homebirths. I ended up with c-sections. We live far from a good hospital which had scared me form trying homebirth.

My sister had a beautiful water birth at home a few months ago. Her baby was aware but not awake all day! That is extraordinary. Your girl was ready to start living!

Gina said...

Beautiful! I love that last photo of you and Ainsley, you look so lovely and joyful .

It's been lovely to catch up with your blog again:) (we've been offline for aa few weeks since we moved house)

Gina xxxx

Mama Teaching 2 said...

Beautiful homebirth! :)

I have been training as a midwife since 2003...I can't wait to serve women in my area. :)

Bona Fide Mama said...

Thanks so much for sharing!

The Magic Onions said...

You look so radiant! I've only had hospital births. In my photos, I look like I have run a marathon and then was told I would have to run back! You look glowing, peaceful, delighted. Isn't birth a miracle?!

Mon said...

I adore the looks on your and hubby's faces!

And didn't sleep for 12 hrs!? omg, that's hilarious and exhausting just thinking about it lol

Great stuff.