Monday, October 12, 2009

About that piano ...

My grandma was looking for someone in the family to take her piano and promise to keep it in the family. I've been looking for a piano for around eight years. It was a good match.

My grandma is 92 years old and her mother got this piano, used, right before my grandma was born.

The problem, once the 'who' had been solved, became 'how'. My grandma and grandpa had moved this piano from Wyoming to their house in Idaho while the house was being built. The room it was in had literally been built around the piano and they'd never planned to move the piano.

Matt took the door frame off of the piano room and it barely squeaked through that door, but then this happened.

Yeah. That.

Turns out that he had to take the door frame off of the closet across the hall. That gave us enough room to get it out of the room with 1/8 of an inch of clearance. Once it was in the hall, it was nearly smooth sailing.

To get it out to the truch, the garage door had to be held open by someone standing in the bathroom - which was me.

"Don't worry," my dad said. "You have running water and a toilet." Har de har har.

Some of my dad's neighbors came over to lift the very solidly made piano.

My dad supervised.

That was a heavy piano.



So now it's home, along with some sheet music that my grandmother insisted came with the piano and is nearly as old as it.

I'm so happy to finally have a piano in my home.

I'll never play Flight of the Bumblebee as well as my mom, but I hope my kids will associate music with their childhood nonetheless.

9 comments:

Stephanie said...

yay!!
Glad you guys made it home safe and sound from your Grand Tour! :)

Congratulations on the piano!!

Joy said...

That's awesome, Sarah! Your kids will enjoy, not only having the piano, but having the story and pictures of when it came to live with you. :)

Mama Teaching 2 said...

It is beautiful!!!

Sherry said...

I'm so glad you were able to get it! :D

Kim Davis said...

I am so glad that you chose to take the piano. We tried piano lessons and the results match our efforts at singing. Off key and irregular tempo:) Thelma really wanted someone to take the piano who would enjoy playing it - so thank you for being the lucky family member (willing to take the doors apart to get it!) LOVE Kathy

Lynna said...

Congrats on the piano! It's so wonderful to have one!! It's beautiful. I wish I could have inherited one. What a treasure!

Maria said...

Hooray! It looks awesome in you house!

Farmgirl_dk: said...

Your dad sounds like a hoot. The piano is delightful - how wonderful the family history that comes along with it.

Dale said...

lots of memories in that old piano... I remember that we did recitals on it for the grandparents whenever we visited the place as kids.

Hard to tell when the music bug will catch but having a easy to play (read target practice) instrument in the house certainly will help. I know most of us siblings didn't "get musical" until our mid-20's.