Saturday, March 20, 2010

The loom of life never stops.

A few weeks ago, I was minding my own business when I was hit with a random memory of an art class in grade school (4th or 5th grade) when weaving was introduced and given it's three days allotment. I was totally entranced and worked hard to make several different wall hangings that ranged from the class assignment of different rows of color to an intricate 'sunset over the ocean' scene complete with seagulls. Of course the next week I got scolded for not showing as much interest in sketching a bowl of fake fruit - which was the next assignment - and instead asking the teacher to teach me a new weaving technique that I'd heard about.

It was a random memory with no tie to the present that I could put my finger on. Within three days I was hit with no less than six weaving-related events.

1) In a random web search that had nothing to do with handiwork of any kind, a how-to-weave link popped up.
2) When pulling out a specific craft book in our library, a weaving book next to it fell out and onto my pile of books, so I grabbed it and another weaving book next to it.
3) When I got the one magazine I'm subscribed to, it had an amazing little article on garden looms. Seriously - garden looms??? SO cool.
4)My daughter, who was having a bad day, asked to look in the Rainy Day Box and chose a potholder weaving kit that I'd picked up on an amazing clearance deal almost a year before. She's shown no interest in it the other times she's seen it. After she finished it, she asked to do some weaving that was 'not so confusing' (the 39 different colors were visual overload).
5) One of my favorite bloggers shared a weaving technique.
6) In a yarn sale advertisement, weaving was featured. No knitting, no crocheting, but weaving. So random.

So I'm accepting it. The universe is telling me to weave. Armed with my two library books and the links I was smacked in the virtual face with, we (or at least I) will be doing some weaving around here.

First foray was today. Paper weaving. Basic with a satisfying amount of instant gratification. Hannah weaved together pink and blue paper.

And then cut out a butterfly silhouette and glued it on the top.

(This is a simple project. Fold one of your papers in half top-to-bottom and draw a line 1 - 2 inches from the top short side. Cut a line from the fold to the line. Move over at least an inch and cut again. Do this all the way across the fold. Your cuts can be straight or wavy. Cut your other paper into strips across the short side and weave them into the first paper.)

I tried photo-weaving. I printed out a photograph in color and then again in 'grayscale' (wish I could have made it more starkly black and white) and weaved them together.

I tried to get a good picture, but the above was the best I could do. The colors are more vibrant 'in real life'. It turned out really sweet.

Tomorrow is 'straw weaving'. Very excited about this one.

Oh, did I not mention the weaving quote?
During my message from the Universe, I was searching for a quote about the value of sleep for moms - you don't need to ask my why, do you? - and this one popped up. "We sleep, but the loom of life never stops, and the pattern which was weaving when the sun went down is weaving when it comes up in the morning." - Henry Ward Beecher.

New favorite quote. I love it. (My Soul Manna quote on my sidebar has been changed also. Another quote that includes weaving.)


It's oddly satisfying, following a long-lost passion into the future. It's exciting. Will I discover a latent talent, have a lot of fun, discover that at this point I really don't care anymore?

5 comments:

Stephanie said...

I love that you're so excited about this, friend!
It makes me happy to feel your connections and enthusiasm about your life and learning.
xxoo
Steph

Chris said...

I love when life brings so many interconncted experiences. It's my way of knowing God must be trying to tell me something! And I love how your excitment rubbed off your kids, too.

Maria said...

Wow! love the photo weaving!

Lynna said...

ok, I'm done keeping my thoughts to myself. You know I love you, and I don't want to make you mad. Please know those aren't my intentions . . . That said. The universe doesn't have a voice. Only our Father in Heaven. Nuf said. I love your weaving!! It's a great project. My girls did it for weeks.

Sarah said...

Lynna, that certainly doesn't make me mad. We simply have different spiritual views. My affection and admiration for you is not affected by those views and I'm relieved to hear it is the same for you. Much love.