Friday, March 5, 2010

These posts are emotionally exhausting.

Two birthdays in three days. Yesterday I lived through two years of pictures. Today I relived six years of life with another one of the most amazing humans I know.

She's so proud of being six. It comes with some big accomplishments in her mind - a few more inches in height, two front teeth lost, a cartwheel almost perfected, a chihuahua fund being filled up (she told us that we didn't have to get her a cake if we just wanted to get her a chihuahua instead). It's hard to remember when she was a brand new life and her main goal was to eat as much and as frequently as possible.


It struck me when I was selecting these pictures how much they captured the essence of this child.

She has always had a mothering nature.

and an appreciation that borders on worship for the natural world.


She cannot contain her utter joy in dancing.

She is a mischievous little trouble-maker

with an unapologetic joie de vivre.

She is a protective, loving sibling,

who has an imagination that takes over all of our lives at times.

And she is my friend. What mother could ask for more?

Happy Birthday my precocious little girl. I so love being your mother.

6 comments:

Annie said...

Happy happy birthday! I can't wait to show Lily your fun pictures. You are so much alike!

Farmgirl_dk: said...

It *is* emotionally exhausting, isn't it? Hannah is amazing.
I did a post like this for Aidan in December when he turned 18...going through 18 years of pictures in an attempt to find the perfect ones to illustrate who my son is was a joyous, difficult, and tearful few hours. I love the man he is becoming but, boy, do I miss my little boy!!
Happy birthday, Hannah - I look forward to watching you continue developing into an incredible young woman!

Cindy said...

Our house is so boring without Hannah's stories to lighten it up! What a sweet girl!

Mama Teaching 2 said...

Awwww, I hope I am growing one just like her now! :) She is so sweet!

Maria said...

Happy Birthday Hannah!

Lindsay said...

What a sweet, sweet post! So much of what you wrote about her reminds me of Meredith too. Makes me wonder what she will be like in 3 1/2 years!