Thursday, March 11, 2010

To be an artist.

"He,
who works with his hands,
is a workman.

He,
who works with his hands and his head,
is a craftsman.

He,
who works with his hands and his head and his heart,
is an artist."

Francis of Assisi

Hannah has decided that she wants to be an artist when she grows up.

Painting, drawing, stitching, crafting, any type of 'art' will work. In talking about it, trying to find out what I could help her with, she mentioned that she wants to do "the art that needs eye goggles". Mkay.

So, this is a call for help.

What the heck is she talking about? Can you think of any art that requires eye goggles? Art that a six-year old can do?

Matt asked her if she was thinking of science experiments that used eye goggles and she said "Well, Father, I haven't ruled out being a scientist when I grow up, but mostly I want to be an artist. So I could do experiments, but it would be more like a hobby."

7 comments:

Kim said...

My first thought was that splatter type art...you know, in the style of Jackson Pollock :) With all that paint flying, eye goggles are quite necessary!

Serene is my name, not my life! said...

LOL! I love the way she talks!

Hmmm... art that requires goggles? Well, goggles with magnifiers to paint little things could be one.
Wall painting that requires throwing or splashing paint onto the paper.
Or sculpture welding, but that might be a little old for her. LOL!
Okay, so maybe none of them would work.
I'll have to think on this one!

Lindsay said...

There's a guy that uses spray paint and paints these huge canvases by the harbour here every summer and he uses eye goggles... Not sure that's the type of thing you have in mind though. We had to use goggles in industrial arts in school when doing wood working type projects too. In fact, when I was interested in wood working my dad bought me a kit that had a miniature table saw and some other nifty things and I think maybe even a pair of goggles. Other than that type of thing though, I can't think of much.

Stephinie ~ Gypsy Mama said...

adorable :) I suppose some wild outdoor painting with big paper and even bigger brush could be done with goggles :)

Stephanie said...

I can only think of jewelry work, paleontology, (with all those brushes and scrapers, it certainly looks like art), maybe woodburning?, soddering.... glass blowing....

Shawnell said...

So, I misread "eye goggles." I was thinking "googly eyes." So, I thought she was talking about the yarn animals that my girls made. Sounds a whole lot less messy than anything that would need eye goggles!

Chris said...

I was thinking of woodworking, too. It's so much fun when I kids start to have a passion for something and we can be right there supporting them!