Sunday, May 9, 2010

About mothers.

We're home. I have lots of chores, unpacking, and blogging to do and I realized that today's Mother's Day.

For the past few months, I have wanted to do a lovely, stirring, heartfelt post on this day about the women who have been important in my life, but I have neither the time nor the energy for that.


I'll have to save the post for another time. I wanted to talk about the influence for good that all of my aunts and grandmother had in my life, even though they only saw me once a year for a few days. I wanted to talk about my sisters and the source of strength they've been to me as we've all grown out of our childhood and the mother we had and into the mothers that we want to be. I will, in a future post, talk about a cousin who became a close friend and a motherhood mentor -though she likely doesn't know it - and, randomly, another cousin's wife who has - though she definitely doesn't know it - been one of the best examples for me of a calm and loving mother. I can't forget the midwife who was there when Ains and Gray came into this world and who treated birth like it was a normal, natural part of life and not necessarily a medical event. Then there are those who I've never *really* met - the close group of online friends who were a source of support and information and laughter in this mothering journey, especially when Gray went into the hospital. And all of you, who I've met through blogging (including the two of you who I *have* been lucky enough to meet), who have given me ideas and who let me see the kind of supportive, struggling, empowering, and really fun mothers you are.

Happy Mother's Day to all of you, in the States or outside of the States. Thank you for being a part of my life, and maybe I'll get around to writing that post next year.

Right now I need to be in my garden.

Crossposted on It Blows Here.

3 comments:

Goodwife said...

Happy Mother's Day to you! I love the picture and hope you had a wonderful relaxing vacation!

Cindy's Custom Creations said...

Very nice. Hope the rest of your vacation was wonderful!

Annie said...

Happy Mother's Day, Sarah!