Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Time with just one.

This morning looked like it was going to be rainy, so after chores were done and a few more flowers were planted in the garden, we hung out inside. I got everything ready for our trip to town, Ains worked on her 'superhero play', Grayson practiced making pancakes,

Hannah made everyone radish omelettes.

Everyone liked them but her.

Through a series of funny events, toward the end of the day, Ains and I found ourselves alone, heading back home from town.

We stopped at a scenic overlook for 'the canyon' that Ains loves so much. We haven't been able to stop there for over nine months due to weather or time constraints and this time we had none of that - and she had my undivided attention.

This is something that I always appreciate - unplanned (and planned) moments with just me and one of my children. It's always a revelation about that child and our relationship.

This time, Ainsley was openly happy about us being alone together 'expwowing the wocks'.

It reminded me how lucky I am to have this person in my life.

And the dog's pretty dang cute too.

7 comments:

nocton4 said...

lovely post x

Stephanie said...

I think the thing with "just one" is that we get to see the innermost self... not just the self that is reflecting the relationships around her/us.
No other babes to distract, no other babes to interrupt thoughts or process, no others to interfere.
We're there, of course, but mostly during these times we tend to just observe and listen, I think. So we can get peeks into the innermost.

Whatever the reason - I always love those moments, too.

Sarah said...

"we get to see the innermost self... not just the self that is reflecting the relationships around her/us"

Thank you for pulling this out and highlighting it, Steph. That's it exactly. I love how you see right into the heart of things.

James & Jessi McCalvy said...

Is Hannah's hair super short!? Cute.

Sarah said...

Oh, Jessi - both girls have short hair. Very short hair. It was the result of a pretend (with very real results) salon.

Farmgirl_dk: said...

Wait, wait, wait!! Where's Hannah's hair??!! Did I miss a post?
Oh...(scrolling up) ha ha...those pretend salons LOVE those short cuts, don't they? LOL

Ainsley's outfit was *perfect* for an outdoor day out with Mama, wasn't it? :-)

Love Grayson's pancakes - what a great idea!

Lindsay said...

I noticed Hannah's hair too and thought I must have missed something. It looks good though!

What a nice post. I don't get much time alone with just Meredith anymore, but I still am the one to put her to bed each night and I've been really cherishing those little moments. :)