Monday, January 3, 2011

Letter Day

We've declared Monday to be 'Real Letter Day'. Hannah wants to start writing real letters to friends. I made her a Letter List to go above her computer and she goes over it to figure out who to write to next.

Right now, writing everything she wants to can get really frustrating and tiring, so she writes as much as she's inclined to and I transcribe the rest for her -verbatim, which makes for some funny letters.

She signs her name and writes the addresses on the envelope and off it goes. She is loving this.

Ainsley has decided that that looks like a lot of fun, so she joined in today.

Now I need to make her a Letter List. Should I make one with pictures of the person beside the name? I'm thinking yes ....

7 comments:

Farmgirl_dk: said...

I better send you a picture of me really quick! :-)

Miranda said...

Years ago I stocked a wooden "writing box" with stamps, envelopes, paper, pens and brass seals and sealing wax. The latter especially is very fun. I melt a blob of wax and the kids press the seal into it. Very romantic and official-looking!

Maria said...

How fun! And Emma just mailed a "letter" (picture) to Hannah!

Cindy's Custom Creations said...

We are lucky enough to be recipients of some of those letters. They are so stinkin' cute!!

James and Jessi McCalvy said...

I should make myself a letter list. What a great idea!

Katey said...

Hannah and Kathryn should be pen pals!

Mama Whimsy said...

Sorry if this doubles. The first try came up with an error.
This is so sweet. I love your idea of transcribing. Layla has been writing letters to Grammy and Poppy this week- mostly everyone's name and drawing pictures to send. I really think she would love a writing box of supplies like Miranda suggested.