Thursday, May 19, 2011

Filling in the sand.

I read a fantastic analogy about getting things done as a busy mom awhile back. Think of your tasks as rocks, gravel, and sand that you need to put into a gallon jar. Put the rocks in first, then the gravel, then the sand. If you put the sand in first, you won't have room for the rocks.

So I've been doing that with the 'before baby' list of tasks. The rocks are done - diapers are made, car seat is bought, blankets, diapers, and clothes are ready. The gravel is filled in - hot spots decluttered, food in the freezer, baby carriers ready. Now I'm filling in the sand, not hoping or expecting to get it all done - just doing what I can, when I can, as I feel inspired ... filling up the birth pool, working with the garden, working on my new website, but mostly relaxing and playing with my kids.

UNO has been a big hit around here lately.

Hannah's been interviewing me while I milk goats.

It's been so cold here. We get 1 good day for every 10 cold and windy ones.

So we make up for it by pretending we live in Hawaii.

We even went snorkeling in the tub the other day.

When it is nice, we don't get anything at all done in the house.



Even in the evening, Ains doesn't want to come in, so she and I have taken to walking down 'the farm road' every night after dark.

They've gotten camping fever something bad.

The microscope has been out for over a week, looking at everything from petals to fingernails to salmon bones.

Hannah had her last dance recitals. We're done with that until fall.

The littler ones wanted to put on their own performance.

It was fantastic.

Then the days get cold again and we are back inside. So we keep busy. Yoga.

Dollhouse.

More UNO.

And cuddling with the chihuahua.

So that's us. Enjoying cold days, loving warm days, filling in the sand.

6 comments:

Stephanie said...

neer.....neer-neer-ner-neer!...chihuahahua! :) (dyou know that song?) :)

i'm glad you're feeling ready!!

the website for your podcasts??

Cindy's Custom Creations said...

Love all the pictures! Hope that baby comes soon!

Sarah said...

Steph, I never have heard that song! lol Sounds like a winner. The website is the one for my podcasts. I'm hitting some snags but am focused on other things as well, so it's not getting solved that fast. :)

Mama Teaching 3 said...

A new baby! :) What fun!

Your life is so sweetly full. :) I loved all the photos.

bleh337 said...

I want to come and hang out with you and bring Hannah!

Lindsay said...

Looks like fun! I love the analogy. Makes me feel better about not having much of a garden this year. The big things we wanted to get done are done. Can't wait to hear about the baby and see pictures. :) I forgot how much work one year olds are and definitely do NOT have baby fever right now, but I do love seeing pictures of tiny babes.

And you know where I am if you need a hand with the site. Really. If I'm too busy, I'll tell you I'm too busy. ;) Or email Kris.