Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Our house looks a little bit different.

Ainsley loves China. A lot. I've been told that she was born on the wrong continent. By her. So it's not much of a surprise that the Chinese New Year was going to be a pretty big thing here. We hung up some Asian stuff that we got at the party store. Not authentic, but fun. Lots of red!


And construction paper Chinese lanterns.


She has her own 'China desk' where she keeps her favorite Christmas present - a Chinese calligraphy set - and she's got Chinese dragons taped up all around it. I wasn't allowed to take pictures of those because they might lose their luck - don't ask - so you get a side view.

Those are her calligraphy pens hanging from the board.

On Sunday night we added to the ambience with good luck posters that we painted and bowls of oranges the kids cut out of construction paper.

Sunday night we had dumplings and today we had noodles, for longevity.

The kids got red envelopes with money in them and a little present. Gray thought his Buddha was worthless, so I traded him for a Twix bar. We were both happy with that. Hannah got a monkey figurine (she was born in the year of the monkey and is proud of that). Ainsley got a 'Chinese waving good luck kitty bank'. I'll have to get a picture of it for you because she's going to make me. She is in heaven.

When I get my sewing machine back from the shop, they'll each get a new article of clothing that is red or orange.

What else? Oh, yeah - Hannah decided a party wasn't a party without a pinata. So she made one out of construction paper and packing tape. It took twenty minutes to break that thing.

And Ainsley wants me to show you her origami 'China girls'.

Technically they're 'Japan girls' because they're wearing kimonos, but we're not much for being technical around here. Our house has a distinctly Asian vibe right now. It's not a traditional holiday for us, but it is important to Ains, so we did what we could. It's been fun. I kinda hope she's still into China next year.

4 comments:

Cindy's Custom Creations said...

Give a hug to that cute little China girl! Happy Chinese New Year!

Rebecca said...

I was thinking of you guys yesterday because of it being
the Chinese New Year! Looks like you had a great time celebrating! I had intentions of making some lanterns and a dragon head puppet, but we ended up going a different direction yesterday. I have good memories of making a big dragon "thing" and parading through classrooms and having each classroom join us as we passed by when I was in school. Thanks for sharing your day with us!

Stephanie said...

Very cool!
It's always exciting when we get to stir things up!

Mama Teaching 3 said...

I like all of it. :) My 13 year old loves anything Asian, too. :) He is my origami expert. We has made those lanterns, too. Thankyou for showing us.